CHIP 2023-07 Network Upgrades only on Saturdays

Yes, I did.

Is it possible to have an event in the middle of the week, yes.

Is it BETTER if it’s on the weekend? Likely also yes.

If I didn’t have events, people would say “What’s your excuse for not running events, just because it’s not on Saturday is your excuse to do nothing? How defeatist and illogical.”. If I run an event during the week, the criticism is “See it’s perfectly fine to run during the week, why do you want to make any changes”.

We CAN run events during the week (sometimes and at great effort), but it would be BETTER if we could do it on a weekend.

Let’s not confuse “this exists and is ok” with “this is perfect and we cannot do better”.

As people stated before, the stakeholders here are the people this CHIP is are asking to make a sacrifice.

This naturally are the people of the full node teams.

This includes the major blockexplorers that people depend on.

The fulcrum operators, at least a sizable sample of them.

All the merchants that actually run a full node.

All the wallet operators that host their own infra, backed by a full node (do notice this includes most multi-currency wallets like exodus too).

I would think that all exchanges that have in the past frozen BCH trading / withdrawals etc during the upgrade time should be included in this proposal as it rather directly affects them. I mean, if they turn off the exchange for another couple of days just because the upgrade fell on a saturday that would not be great.

I suppose that sums up the direct stakeholders. If you want to “make things better” by moving the upgrade day you can ask them to sacrifice their weekend. I’m expecting the above to sum up to a rather large number of people, though. Which is why from the start of this thread people were doubtful.

Now, you can stubbornly try to keep stating you really really want this, but maybe just maybe the approach is to actually do the hard work yourself instead of asking the hundreds listed above…
That is more people than you had views on the previous upgrade livestream. And this is what is pissing me off by the continues push here by Jeremy. For more views, he is asking the wider community to “contribute” absolutely out of proportion to the possible gains to said community.

Notice that above a good percentage of those people have already explicity said no to this proposal.

The better approach is to look inward and fix the actual format. Work in the world you have been given.

I’ll explain one way this can be done, I hope someone will do it. IDGAF who.

Let me loosely take the message I wrote above 6 months ago for this:

Have an upgrade “announcement” live-stream.

It can be a couple of days before, like on a weekend, or not. Maybe BCH got big and commercial by then. grin.

The basic thought here is that all the big companies are doing them like this. From Apple to AMD. From Tesla to Qt. It is a very successful format, it is what they came to after decades of experimentation. We can borrow their ideas. We SHOULD, even.

The value proposition of an upgrade-stream shows a lot of comparables to existing companies formats:

• We introduce a bunch of new things that people may be able to get their hands on in some time in the future.
    Specifically, protocol upgrades are not going to land in the hands of end-users. Not any time soon. This is reality.
  • We have in-depth talks with people that understand the new features and how this ties into the existing stuff.
  • We have talks with ecosystem players that didn’t build the actual feature, but are talking how they will exploit it and do more exciting stuff in the future.

This is just some quick-of-the-top-of-my-head thinking. I’m sure we can find a 2 (or 5!) hour filling schedule with a little effort.

Or, in other words, turn it into something that can be done days before the event. More scripted, even! Make it a big show to “sell” the awesomeness of this upgrade.

This would be a creative and wholesome usage of the small number of resources this community has.

I will no longer reply to this topic, if you want to discuss this format further, please do that in a more appropriate thread/place.

2 Likes

I thought it was more or less consensus that doing a network upgrade always on a Saturday is not a smart move for a global payment system that could eventually impact every business on the planet.

The last I remember was that the discussion moved more in the direction of would it be beneficial if it was always on the same day, such as a Tuesday or Wednesday.

If the idea of the CHIP is purely about marketing and hype, the suggestion to do a pre show is a clear winner.

Just use the last Saturday before the upgrade as the presentation of what’s new, such as how Apple does this: do an event and then a few days or weeks later the upgrade gets released.

This removes all the issues raised, and allows the CHIP owners to achieve their goals.

I’m sure we can get many in the community involved in such a show/presentation/celebration.

2 Likes

It is consensus, but this obvious state of reality has not yet reached some people like Jeremy and Alex.

This looks like the most reasonable solution.

1 Like