CHIP 2022-10 BCMR: Bitcoin Cash Metadata Registries

Hi all, I just published a draft proposal for a new application-layer standard:

Bitcoin Cash Metadata Registries (BCMRs) share metadata between Bitcoin Cash wallets, allowing user-recognizable names, descriptions, icons, ticker symbols, etc. to be associated with on-chain artifacts like identities, tokens, and contract systems.

Registries can be found via DNS and updated using on-chain transactions, offering strong censorship resistance and the same security available to funds and tokens: multisignature wallets, offline signers, time-delayed vaults, bounties/honeypots, and more.

On-chain identities are represented by chains of transactions, so their history and broadcasts can be verified by light clients with tiny proofs (a few KBs). Think software update hashes, warrant canaries, tamper-evident logs, reusable payment addresses, .onion addresses, etc.

The full specification is available on GitHub:

A livestreamed tech talk + Q&A on Bitcoin Cash Metadata Registries will take place on November 1, 2022 at 13 UTC:

Feedback and reviews are appreciated, either in the GitHub issue tracker or below. Thanks!

7 Likes

Great discussion today. Appreciate you organizing that. Very ambitious goals. The one open question I still have is about making sure to identify any tradeoffs you had to take, or potential weaknesses you can imagine, for example off in the future when it is highly adopted.

5 Likes

Also mentioning it here, that a version 2 of the BCMR standard is in the works. Copying from the open PR, the v2 will be the standard on mainchain, v1 was only for experimentation on chipnet.

Ah, I didn’t respond to the question on supporting the v1 schema – yeah, I think v1 should definitely be dropped completely. In a sense, it only ever supported chipnet since the format can’t even indicate what chain it’s talking about.

We can worry a bit more about backwards compatibility after this major version. I’m hopeful we’ve found a lot of the issues for now though, and future changes will generally just add new, optional fields. (And/or use extensions rather than changing the standard!)

3 Likes

The bcmr v2 open PR has now been merged and the v2 version now marked as draft with a recent change: “Simplified publication output encoding” which incorporated feedback on the IPFS encoding.

The version 2 BCMR standard is already implemented in Cashonize, the webwallet and partly implemented in the Electron Cash pc wallet. Both wallets allow for linking a bcmr in the genesis transaction when creating new CashTokens.

Multiple token projects have already launched on mainnet using the bcmr v2 standard. Currently there is not yet an easy applications which can manage authhead utxos to update tokenmetadata.

There is also now a serious, high-quality metadata registry for CashTokens metadata with the launch of OpenTokenRegistry by @bitjson.

4 Likes

And another important piece of infra supporting the BCMR standard is the blockexplorer by salemkode (explorer.salemkode.com) which has full BCMR support and now also resolves autchains for on-chainmetadata update!

For example this is the tokenId of bitcats nft collection on the blockexplorer.

3 Likes

Today @MathieuG released a video to make it easier for newcomers to get their tokens set up:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing the introductory video here!

The video explains DNS-Resolved Registries & Chain-Resolved Registries.
I use my Cashonize wallet to demonstrate token creation.
The video also explains why self certified metadata is not considered “verified” and that tokens need to be included on a trusted tokenlist to be considered verified.
I use opentokenregistry as the example and show the well-known uri where the tokenlist is located.
Lastly the concept of authchains for metadata updates is covered.

4 Likes

Two new important pieces of BCMR tooling were recently developed:

1. There’s now an indexer for on-chain published BCMR data made by Paytaca! The indexer is open-source and they have a publicly available API at bcmr.paytaca.com and its homepage has some general statistics.

the API endpoints are:

1. /api/tokens/<category-id> → will give specific token metadata for FTs and generic token info for NFTs
  2. /api/tokens/<category-id>/<commitment>/ → will give token metadata for NFT types
  3. /api/registries/<category-id>/latest/ → will give the latest registry record for the given category ID
  1. I built a tool to generate BCMR json files for fungible tokens from an easy fill-in form. You can find it at bcmr-generator.netlify.app
4 Likes

Some extensions for the BCMR standard are also beginning to be used by different projects, here’s an overview:

The Bitcats & Guru collectible NFT project use the extension attributes on specific NFT types and this has already been adopted by different applications (including wallets and an nft marketplace) to display attributes unique about the specific NFT.
Additionally Bitcats uses an image_hash extension for each nft because the nft images are not stored on IPFS.

The “Real Bitcoin Fam” token has used the contact extension that was used as example in the BCMR spec.

Lastly, I want to suggest a new extension, nftNumbering, so projects can use an alternative to the scriptnumbers used by default for NFT Ticker Symbols.

3 Likes

Can we verify a shared registry, like the ones that explorers use?

Here is the scenario:

every single token may publish themselves a BCMR, they can do that on their own location somewhere on the web. But it’s not very useful as users and wallets won’t be able to find them. As such there are places like otc.cash which download those JSONs and provide the data there again. This makes salemkode’s explorer able to find token data.

But here is a problem I noticed yesterday. The bcmr published by a token owner will need to include the “registryIdentity” type and its child-properties. So 100 different tokens have 100 different registryIdentities. Version numbers. Descriptions etc.

But the otc.cash one only has one registryIdentity, its own. Then it just lists the identities copied from the bcmrs it re-hosts.

And this means that it doesn’t host the files ‘as-is’, which then means you can’t use the hash, as published on the blockchain, to verify it is an accurate copy.