When communicating about upgrades of the Bitcoin Cash (BCH) network, it is important to remember that BCH intends to serve everyone in the world. The quality of communication should align with that high bar, especially on upgrades that get more attention such as network rules or consensus rules. Without a central authority, achieving that high quality communication requires some care.
The main benefits are increased reputation as a reliable network, and on the flipside, reduction of fallout from miscommunication and misunderstandings, especially on dangerous topics such as the difference between an upgrade and a split, which has affected users in the past. It should also reduce the overall coordination cost which has been significant in the past.
- Widely discussed to remove rough edges and discover common language
- Easy for a publisher to include complete, accurate and appropriate information
- Easy for a publisher to adapt to their audience
- Unencumbered by restrictive copyright, open source, and therefore available to all for usage, improvement and adaptation
- All language should be neutral-to-positive, business-like and fact based. Individual announcements using the template can adjust the level of excitement, promotion, story-telling, etc. as they see fit.
- BCH reputation for stability increases as the world sees similar high quality information from multiple sources, across multiple upgrades
- Stakeholders such as merchants, holders, traders, exchanges, pools, etc. are confident about what they need to do, if anything
- Overall effort for communication can be expected to be lower when there is at least one high quality, low contention template.
- I will propose an outline for a template below and improve it based on discussion in this thread.
- Creation of actual content templates for various cases past and future can come next. BCR may be an appropriate starting place for those though eventually I think they need to end up in a repository (not necessarily the same one every time) or perhaps a separate article.