CHIP 2023-04 Adaptive Blocksize Limit Algorithm for Bitcoin Cash

Nice find!

How do we avoid the risk for BCH? The maximum rate of change is chosen such to stay under original BIP-101 (What if too fast?) which is a good estimate for Bitcoin-tech growth of deployable capacity. Another blockchain like Zcash would need their own variant of BIP-101 with lower base and maybe lower rate.

Fees are the 1st line of defense against irrational use of the network, and I think Zcash / Pirate Chain simply had it too low. On BCH, one can not just run a “Free And Unscheduled Scalability Audit” (FAUSA)" as they did on Pirate Chain, because 1 satoshi / byte is not free. It is cheap for regular use, but it is not free, meaning introducing an artificial TX load at scale will still cost any single actor too much.

I’ll add some good numbers specific to BCH, which Jonathan Toomim laid out here. For those going to the original comment, his remarks about the algo are referring to an older iteration with 4x/yr rate limit at the extreme, which was deemed too fast, as it could more easily intercept the original BIP-101 curve.

The BCH network currently has enough performance to handle around 100 to 200 MB per block. That’s around 500 tps, which is enough to handle all of the cash/retail transactions of a smallish country like Venezuela or Argentina, or to handle the transaction volume of (e.g.) an on-chain tipping/payment service built into a medium-large website like Twitch or OnlyFans.

If you mine a 256 MB block with transactions that are not in mempool, the block propagation delay is about 10x higher than if you mine only transactions that are already in mempool. This would likely result in block propagation delays on the order of 200 seconds, not merely 20 seconds. At that kind of delay, Gorilla would see an orphan rate on the order of 20-30%. This would cost them about $500 per block in expected losses to spam the network in this way, or $72k/day. For comparison, if you choose to mine BCH with 110% of BCH’s current hashrate in order to scare everyone else away, you’ll eventually be spending $282k/day while earning $256k/day for a net cost of only $25k/day. It’s literally cheaper to do a 51% attack on BCH than to do your Gorilla spam attack.

If you mine 256 MB blocks using transactions that are in mempool, then either those transactions are real (i.e. generated by third parties) and deserve to be mined, or are your spam and can be sniped by other miners. At 1 sat/byte, generating that spam would cost 2.56 BCH/block or $105k/day. That’s also more expensive than a literal 51% attack.

Currently, a Raspberry Pi can keep up with 256 MB blocks as a full node, so it’s only fully indexing nodes like block explorers and light wallet servers that would ever need to be upgraded. I daresay there are probably a couple hundred of those nodes. If these attacks were sustained for several days or weeks, then it would likely become necessary for those upgrades to happen. Each one might need to spend $500 to beef up the hardware. At that point, the attacker would almost certainly have spent more money performing the attack than spent by the nodes in withstanding the attack.

7 Likes

honestly… not sure… has not had a good go yet. not enough tx volume. we had some issues early on because it was not possible to adjust the blocksize higher for the first… year? (i forget the exact params) due to the algo median windows and the baseline block size that was configured for the dual median approach was too small (100KB). there was not enough baseline space to accommodate short term spikes in the network tx rate due to exchange output consolidation. when enough time had passed for the network to consider raising the maximum block size, the exchanges had already fixed all of the consolidation issues so the size still has not risen off of the baseline.

1 Like

BCHN implementaion ongoing: Draft: Work-in-progress ABLA implementation (!1782) · Merge requests · Bitcoin Cash Node / Bitcoin Cash Node · GitLab

4 Likes

I was ignoring this proposal as I believe it can never ever pass a public vote and I believed that bchautist would arrange that vote as Dreyzehmer did with cashtokens

Now apparently some guy started implementing something and bchautist started insulting me on Twitter after that I critized this nonsense CHIP

I prefer to talk in a public space as we should have clear documentation for the years to come, who talked what and when…

Please engage with my Twitter timeline, everyone is free to engage there and if anyone is banned for historic reasons then I will unban, of course I also ban everyone who insults others, check BitcoinMap, bchbeach or realbitcoinclub on Twitter

I hope we can continue ignoring bchautists attempt to make himself important w nonsense CHIP

So we can focus on actually creating the libraries necessary so that frontend devs can bring transactions to the BCH backend

Its time to create traffic, not another pointless blocksize debate that changes absolutely nothing and just drains energy and ressources from investors who pay devs

This proposal already passed a public vote.

The proposal is being implemented as we speak.

And not “some guy” but one of the most active BCHN devs.

You are talking in a public space. This space is more “public” than Twitter. On Twitter random people or Twitter itself can censor and remove content. Here, content is practically never removed.

How about no? Did you come here to advertise your Twitter account? This place is not for advertisement, but development discussions.

If you banned people, that literally means that everyone is NOT “free to engage”. You just contradicted yourself.

Seems like you’re late to the party.

There is no debate any more. The decision has been made and has full consensus from relevant parties.

3 Likes

That’s not what happened. I did insult you and you deserved the insult, but it was for another thing: I insulted your “Barrio” account because you were using the George Donnely drama as opportunity to throw FUD at BCH.

So you plotted to wait last minute to stir-up trouble, eh? And I will send the query to same list of stakeholders Jason did. Jason himself advised me to wait for BCHN to implement it and fork testnet before reaching out to broader industry, and Jason himself was supportive of this CHIP.

Everyone following BCH developments is aware of this CHIP and in support of it, and we will not allow some lone-wolf detractor using dishonest tactics to stand in the way of BCH future.

You used the “bchbeach” account to throw FUD at my post here then quickly blocked me so I can’t directly respond. I did see it and I did respond here.

Tough luck, lots of discussions already happened, good luck undoing that “PoW”:

I’m just a vessel for something that’s been started in 2016 with BIP-101 and with BitPay’s adaptive block size limit proposal based on median. Someone had to do the work, and that someone happened to be me. I stand on the shoulders of giants and I merely finished the work of others before me, to do what is necessary to remove the risk for BCH once and for all.

Signed TXIDs or it didn’t happen. How much did you donate? How about you ask actual investors what they think about this proposal?

8 Likes

Full agreement on everything, but generally you don’t even need to explain yourself to some Twatter troublemaker.

His post should be regarded as trolling simply, there are no valid arguments present.

6 Likes

This proposal is years in the making. BCA is carrying something over the goal line that many of us have been working toward even since before BCH split. BCA has achieved consensus from most if not all the key dev teams and every dev on those teams has had over a year of kicking this can down the road. Twitter is just one platform and it is not where real work gets done. The real work gets done when one dev reaches out to another and works to understand their issues and work together to come to consensus. Then the first dev goes to a third and the second dev goes to a fourth. And so on. That is how consensus has been built for this proposal.

Your primary complaint seems to be that devs should be working on other stuff. Attention: BCH split off from BTC because we believed that it was possible to achieve onchain scaling. A key missing piece – I’d say, THE key missing consensus piece – of this was to come up with some sort of approach that could potentially eliminate the need to do mass-coordinated upgrades. This plan does that. So, no, devs aren’t working on the wrong stuff. They’re working on the mission of Bitcoin Cash. You do support that mission, right?

I was ignoring this proposal

That was your call. At any rate, at this point you are too late to stop this proposal. Short of a detailed technical analysis complete with simulations that will prove beyond shadow of doubt that the proposal will fail badly. Do that, then come back and we will listen. Anything less, you’re wasting your time at this point.

Because BCA did the analysis, and the simulations, and the data-gathering, and the back-and-forth, and the rest of the consensus-building that you yourself claimed you ignored. Well. You can’t ignore something, then come back all hand-wavy starting drama with nothing more concrete to be concerned about than “devs should be working on other stuff.”

So if you have some specific gripe with this proposal, then please, go away, and come back with science.

Late edit: also if you think devs should be working on frontend libraries then please feel free to create a CHIP for the frontend libraries that you think devs ought to be working on, then go through years of consensus building for your CHIP. Because that’s where we’re all at here. That’s how it works.

7 Likes

Forgot to link this here 3 weeks ago. General Protocols statement of support for the CHIP.

Also I think it’s worth re-iterating that there is no voting going on here. Every party chooses what to do independently. The escalation of support and stake is a signal, but not a vote.

9 Likes

Indeed, however this state of affairs will become unmaintainable as BCH grows. In time people from different countries will create countless groups of people, and each of such group will have a different leader and all of these groups will not be sufficiently connected to what is happening here and on most popular BCH groups.

However, there might be another way.

I have noticed that due to BCH’s decentralization we have evolved into a loose collection of like-minded individuals that achieve agreement and synchronicity though closely arguing on instant media, like Telegram.

So the way out of this inevitable mess and contention that will be created in the future is to have people discuss in public frequently and directly (not over DMs) about the issues with the honest intention of actually achieving agreement of what needs to be done to make BCH the world money and retain these basic properties such as low fees, instant transactions, 21M coin limit etc.

Closed door meetings is what created Core, SegWit, 1MB and all that unwanted insanity.

During the public discussion it is possible to make it clear for everybody who is a bad actor and drive such bad actors out, just like it recently happened with George Donelly.

Sorry this turned out a little offtopic, but you inspired me to write it.

3 Likes

That’s what we have been doing! Recall main points from this great article by @mtrycz, which I feel was an inspiration for the CHIP process, and certainly it was inspiration to me:

1. Communicate early and clearly
    1a. Specifically: no surprises
  2. Brainstorm in good faith
  3. Don’t hold grudges
  4. Face disagreement gracefully
    4a. Reach out directly
    4b. Try a multiparty meeting
    4c. Check with the ecosystem
    4d. A split is always an option
7 Likes

Yes, and it is excellent. In no way I am saying you were not or diminishing your accomplishments.

I just had a deep thought about the state of affairs that was a result of prolonged observation of humans (BCHers).

2 Likes

Mate you seem to be here just to start trouble. You’ve banned me on X/Twitter over a year ago. If you want to be part of a community, you cannot just shut everyone else out and complain that you’ve seen nothing.

3 Likes

As little as my statement matters on this, but seeing others recently post about this, I officially support this CHIP <3

@bitcoincashautist thank you for all your efforts, as well as all others commenting and contributing to this. BCA you have been outstanding at responding to everyone all this time. We all can be inspired by your dedication, contribution, collected demeanor.

5 Likes

but this will NEVER happen so long as TG (a closed platform that requires KYC phone verification to access its network) is the “default” channel for “open” communications

there’s gotta be a better option than TG for a “permissionless” and “peer-to-peer” community to communicate effectively :pray:

1 Like

Unfortunately I agree. TG is not permissionless.

In no way I was implying that it has to be TG. It just has to be

• Modern (emojis, gifs, link preview, easy moderation)
  • Functional
  • Decentralized
  • Popular

The problem with solutions that have the first 3 is that they are not popular. Network effects are extremely hard to get started.

OK anyway, let’s stop the offtopic now, this is not the place to discuss this in depth.

2 Likes

I resisted Tg initially and then realized I’m missing out because that’s where everyone hangs out, and then I found a way to get a no-KYC phone number. It was not a terrible obstacle.
People will gather wherever they like to gather, it’s not like someone decided it will be Tg. It happened spontaneously and here we are.
As of few days ago, https://stealths.net/ accepts BCH and you can get a no-KYC number for $15/year.

3 Likes

This can be a major problem in many countries.

But people who have the imperative to stay anon like me and you, find a way.

1 Like

sure! i wasn’t implying that you did. i just wanted to stress how much i appreciate the open communications on THIS platform, especially because it’s “truly” permissionless :clap: :+1:

exactly! the FOMO is real lol :pleading_face:

that’s fantastic! imma definitely check this out … would be great if it worked for Discord too :wink:

1 Like