Lets talk about block time

Is there a reason why the DAA doesn’t take the halving into account? the recent halving is having a big impact on blocktimes so I wonder if this could not have easily been prevented

3 Likes

I’d guess simplicity. If you wanted to adjust difficulty at halving you can’t simply halve the difficulty too, because that would be making the assumption that fees are 0.

The halving-friendly DAA would have to sample some window of blocks for the fees and then take that into account when calculating the halving adjustment.

3 Likes

Hash could move off before the halving, which we saw this time (appeared to move off 10 blocks before). So this makes it difficult to account for. If hash drops just before, then the algorithm adjusts, and then the algorithm adjusts again 10 blocks later, we could have bigger swings.

Not sure it makes sense to change. This would not be an issue at all if BCH was in BTC’s place in total market value and had the by and large majority of hash (as there would be no other chain to move any significant hash to).

I hope this is the last time we have this issue because maybe, MAYBE, we can reclaim much or all of BTC’s market cap.

2 Likes

Right.

My reasoning was along the lines: Halvings don’t break anything, but it is a nuisance every 4 years. If there was a change that could be done to improve it without breaking anything else we should do it. I expected that things change when we get majority hash, but fees also need to be taken into consideration which I didn’t. Depending on how fees ramp up in the future the problem could also disappear within the next few halvings.

1 Like

2024 halving was the first halving with ASERT DAA!

Post halving it took only a few days for block times to go back to normal

2 Likes

With BTC halving done, we can observe its impact on BCH’s block times, too